Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?

So, my car has been vibrating really badly when I turn my steering wheel to the left whenever I'm driving around a curve and it does it whenever I'm speeding up too. I took it to the dealership today to get my oil changed and they said my passenger side outer tie rod was bad and so was my driver sider hub bearing. I replaced the tie rod today (the outer one) and the clicking noise I hear when I turn my wheel has decreased but not completely gone and it still vibrates whenever I turn. How badly is my wheel bearing wore out? How long will it last? I'm supposed to get it done Thurs but I'm scared it's something more than the wheel bearing. Help!Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
Ok, first off I'd be a bit skeptical about a wheel bearing for 60 bucks. The wheel bearing for your car is a whole hub assembly, so unless they are going to press the bearing out and press in a new one (about an hour labor with a hydraulic press so $20 to put it on seems cheap now) that sounds like a cheap assembly. Depending on the braking systems of your car (4 wheel ABS or 2 wheel ABS) the hubs cost about $168 from NAPA. As far as the problems is concerned, if the problem was with the drivers side bearing then you would notice it turning to the right; all the weight shifts to the opposite side when turning. Like others to answer, I would have them check the tulip (CV) joints in the CV shaft on the passengers side. As far as safety is concerned, if the bearing does seize up while you are driving that can cause the car to pull in the direction of the seizure so if you are not ready for it you can swerve pretty bad in that direction. I've seen bad bearing last for 2 days after making noise and I've seen them last for 6 months...it's really a crap shoot.Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
Sounds more like CV joints to me.Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
could be a CV joint..if you can't afford a car, don't drive one...everything needs maintenance.Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
Why didn't you have them do the bearing while you were there? Then you would know.Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
This happened to my 2003 Impala last year. I drove on it for maybe two days after I noticed the vibrating. grinding whenever I sped up or turned and my dad told me that I shouldn't have so I would guess you should do it pretty quick, I think it was like $110. My car mainly did it when I was going fast.Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
It's hard to say...the ball bearings in these American cars suck...my friend has a Cavalier and has had bearings go bad in two different front wheels. The first time he drove around in it like that for a month or two, lol, then it got real bad (loud). So it can last a while but it depends on how bad it is, the position, everything. Let it go too long and you will really **** it up so just be careful, drive it slow, and you should def last til Thursday. Just make sure you get it taken care of then and don't delay it further.Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
CV to meWheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
Good deal on a bearing... cheap to put on.... what the hey. It's not like that hub assembly holds your wheel on or anything... go cheap. That's definately the best idea....Wheel bearing? 2000 Impala?
it could be the cv joint or the wheel bearing.