Wednesday, November 24, 2010

How do I change the lower ball joint on my 2000 Chevy Malibu?

The ball joint has gone on my 2000 Chevy Malibu (driver's side) due to the fact that my outer tie rod is also bad. (I know, I know) I want to fix both of them as soon as payday comes (tuesday). The problem that I am having is trying to figure out if my ball joint is pressed in or not. I don't want to buy the parts then find out I will need to take it to a garage to have it fixed because I don't have the tools to fix it with my trusty mechanics assistant.How do I change the lower ball joint on my 2000 Chevy Malibu?
The Auto Zone website has a free repair instruction site. You can get detailed step by step instructions for most repair procedures.



You will have to register. But registration is free. I have not received any SPAM from registering at this website.



See the second link below for detailed instructions to replace the front lower ball joint on this vehicle. Unsure if it will work without logging in.



I also own a 2000 Malibu and do all of my own maintenance and repairs. Bought it new and it now has over 140,000 relatively trouble free miles on it. i really got my moneys worth from this car.How do I change the lower ball joint on my 2000 Chevy Malibu?
Ball joints ... shudder... OK the sad truth is I have not had to change a ball joint in a few years but I do know chevy's .. from the factory these ball joints are riveted in place. not bolted. these means you will need to grind off the tops and beat them out with a punch and mallet. not a hammer you will be all day using a hammer. small sledge hammers will work. the other hard part is separating the wheel assembly from the ball joint. this usually takes a special tool called a ball joint separate. it is a 2 pronged piece of steel with a blunt end for beating on with a mallet.



once the old one is off the new one will come with bolts to bolt it in place. when you install the wheel assembly back on to the ball joint you will need a torque wrench. you will need to find the torque specs on these bolts to insure you do not over or under tighten them.



this is not an easy repair. it takes the right tools time and brute force.