Sunday, November 21, 2010

How do i replace tie rods fro my 92 honda civic dx?

i have had so many problems with my car for the last month that i am in debt up to my neck. so i want to try and change my tie rods myself to try and save money.



i need to find out how to change/replace inner tie rods for a 92 honda civic dx in as much detail as possible (pictures would help)How do i replace tie rods fro my 92 honda civic dx?
Not hard at all. I just put an inner tie rod end on my '94 Civic DX last week. I bought my mine from this seller on eBay:



http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2-Inner-T



Two tie rod ends for $26 shipped to my door...Autozone wanted $52 for one. You'll also need a new cotter pin and the minimum tools would be a pair of wire cutters, a large hammer, and two cresent wrenches.



Set your parking brake, loosen your lug nuts, and jack up that side of your car and put on jack stands. Remove the tire/wheel then remove the cotter pin from the outer tie rod end nut and the nut itself. (if you want to make the repair easier, replace the outer tie rod end at the same time) Once you have the nut off, stick something semisoft like a piece of brass, copper, hard wood, etc. over the threads on the outer tie rod end and hit with your hammer to knock it out of the spindle. If you can't find anything else, go to Home Depot and buy a copper tubing connector for $2. Once the outer tie rod end is loose push the rubber boot back to expose your inner tie rod. There is a flat spot machined in the steering rack to hold it steady and a spot machined on the inner tie rod end to use to unscrew it. With both tie rods off the car back off the jam nut and unscrew the two. Count the number of threads showing on the inner tie rod end so you can put the new one in the same distance and your alignment won't be off much...but leave the jam nut loose for now. Put some loc-tite on the new tie rod threads and screw it into the rack and then put the outer back on the spindle. Once both ends are attached, tighten the jam nut up. Don't forget the new cotter pin. Good luck!How do i replace tie rods fro my 92 honda civic dx?
You need to get yourself a repair manual, Haynes, will give you step by step instructions. You can find it at any auto parts store.