Sunday, November 21, 2010

Do you have to grease new Moog tie rod ends?

Actually, they were Chinese knockoffs of Moog, but came with a grease fitting which we installed (just like the real Moogs). I was shocked to see that grease fittings were included in the pack, because everything has been sealed for so long. I thought I could get them greased at Sears when I took it in for an alignment, but Sears said they don't even have a grease gun anymore. Do these really need grease? How soon do I have to have it done? Can I wait until my next oil change?Do you have to grease new Moog tie rod ends?
they have a very small amount of lube in them already, but you should grease them before driving the car for too long. I'de say as a safte precaution you should grease them. They do some with some grease in them, but most of the time its a very minimal amount. What i usually do after putting new tie rod ends on, i grease them initially, then every other oil change just check them and add any grease if necessary. They can move freely when the wieght of the vehicle is lifted, but as soon as wieght it put on, without proper greasing they can and have been known to bind up, which ive witnessed a few times.Do you have to grease new Moog tie rod ends?
whenever replacing tie rod end that come with grease fittings grease them.The manufacturer only pre-lube them enough to keep moister out for shipping purposes.Buy yourself a cheap grease gun and grease them yourself it will be cheaper.